Space champion, Dr. Niamh Shaw and Great British Bake Off finalist, Andrew Smyth, will bring you on a journey from Earth to the Moon and back, with demos and bakes directly to your kitchens. Join them as they 'Bake to the Future'!
How will we live in the future?
What will we eat?
Will we run out of flour again?
Lifting off from Earth and headed for the Moon, ‘Baking In Space – Bake to the Future' will explore our planet in lockdown, how we have learned to adapt and the parallels between living in space and living during COVID.
With special guests including Helen Sharman, the first British astronaut, representatives from the European Space Agency and a range of Irish researchers, together we will explore the surprising connections between everyday bakes and the extraordinary engineering that helps keep astronauts alive in space.
Packed with live demos, baking, space, scientists, engineering (aerospace/food), psychology and activities for families to do at home, we look to a Future Earth in another exciting space baking show!
'Baking In Space' is suitable for a general family audience, age 8+.
- Book your FREE tickets here. Early bird registrations will receive a special Yakult promotional gift!
- Download the Ark's 'Bake to the Future' creative activity pack. It's full of fun experiments, bakes and creative activities for all the family;
- Enter our 'Honeycomb Moon' competition with a chance to win some brilliant prizes. The competition will run until 01 November so get baking and photo taking!
- In the days running up to Science Week Ireland (08-15 November), be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and watch our 'Bake to the Future' video series. Niamh and Andrew will share some great space foodie facts and set some challenges for you to try at home;
- Share photos of your creations with us on social media. Remember to tag #BakingInSpace.
British Council Ireland are delighted to bring ‘Baking In Space – Bake to the Future’ to Science Week Ireland 2020, working with The Ark Dublin, Limerick, Midlands and Wexford Science Festivals and inviting audiences from across Ireland and the UK to join in the fun. With lots of live demonstrations, tasting and audience interaction, your curiosity will be whisked, stirred, and taken out of this world…
Wednesday 11 November – 7pm – Midlands Science Festival
- The online family show will last approximately 1hr and is suitable for ages 8+.
- The first 100 bookings will be sent a special 'Baking In Space' promotional gift! Kindly supported by Yakult.
- A link and joining instructions will be sent by email at least 1 week prior to the show.
About Baking In Space 2020
‘Baking In Space – Bake to the Future’ is a Science Week Ireland 2020 programme funded by Science Foundation Ireland and created in partnership with British Council Ireland, Dr Niamh Shaw and Andrew Smyth. It is kindly supported by Yakult which is itself boldly going into space for experiments with astronauts on the International Space Station in collaboration with Japan Aerospace Exploration agency (JAXA). Their mission is to study the influence of Yakult’s bacteria on the human body.
The ‘Bake to the Future’ creative activity pack is by Dr. Niamh Shaw with recipes from Andrew Smyth. It is commissioned and produced by The Ark, Dublin in collaboration with British Council Ireland.
For full details of Baking In Space 2020, visit: www.britishcouncil.ie/baking-in-space