As the world’s English language experts, we are passionate about English and those who teach it.
Whether you are new to English language teaching, or you are taking the next steps in your career and development, our free resources for teacher professional development and teaching resources can all help you become a more effective English teacher.
Teacher professional development
If you are an English language teacher looking for professional development, but are too busy to travel to attend a programme at a fixed time and date, our online courses might be just the thing for you.
- Our free online courses are three or four weeks long and there are a range of topics, from assessing learners to planning a great lesson;
- You can find out about upcoming webinars and recorded talks from experts in the field of English Language Teaching on TeachingEnglish website.
Support for teachers and teacher educators during Covid-19
We are committed to supporting the use of technology for the continuation of education in a crisis. As many teachers find themselves in an unfamiliar situation of having to teach their classes online, with little or no experience, the British Council TeachingEnglish website is providing extra support to help you navigate your way through the world of online teaching. For more information click here.
Teaching resources – lesson plans & materials
If you are an English language teacher or ELT professional, the British Council has lots of free resources to support your work.
- sign up to our online teacher training courses
- download free lesson plans and classroom materials
- get tips, articles and information about professional development, conferences and qualifications
- join discussion groups and access training materials.
Find out more on our TeachingEnglish website.